Friday, January 27, 2012

Automation, or putting Smart back in smartphone

So... what's a "smart" phone?

Judging by what's available on the market, a smartphone is a portable computer that also acts as a phone.  Truth is, even though it's featureful, it's no smarter than a calculator.

Enters Tasker.

The sad thing is, you shouldn't have to purchase this app.  It should just be part of Android.  But until this happens, Tasker is the one app every power user should get.

What is Tasker?  To me, it's a way to access to the OS' full API without having to write java programs.  According to the developer, it's an app that performs tasks (actions) based on contexts (triggers).

Let's look at a few examples:

Tasker, please...
Disable screen timeout when I'm reading a book or using google maps
Change my wallpaper and ringtone when I'm in the office
Put the phone on vibration when I'm in a meeting
Disable email notifications at night
Remember where I park my car and help me find it if I forget
And much much more...

Actually, take a look here for sample profiles that you can download and customize to your liking.

OK, I know, there's a learning curve.  You'll have to spend an hour or two reading the doc and trying it out.  But hey, you've got an Android in your hand; not a beautiful but severely limited I-thing; not an I've got a keyboard but no real Internet access Berrything.  A fully customizable and hackable Android.  Do yourself a favor and not only customize our device, but make it "smart" enough to do the right thing, at the right time, all the time.

Find this helpful?  Have questions?  Comment below!

No comments:

Post a Comment